Global LymeXpert Group launches
International partnership sets out to unite experts in tackling chronic Lyme disease and co-infections.
A global partnership formed from some of the world’s leading experts in diagnosing and treating Lyme and other vector-borne diseases officially launched on January 27, 2020 at the Arab Health 2020 conference in Dubai.
The Global LymeXpert Group www.GLXG.org aims to collaborate on research, clinical trials and diagnosis in order to help further the world’s understanding, treatment and therapy of Lyme disease and its many health complications.
The founding members of the non-profit Global LymeXpert Group are all medical directors and experts in the field of tick-borne diseases:
- Dr Carsten Nicolaus – Medical Director and founder of BCA-clinic, BCA-lab & research facility, Specialist for tick-borne diseases.
- Dr Radek Klubal – Medical Director and Consultant in Allergy, Clinical Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Medical Center Prague.
- Dr Joshua Berkowitz – Medical Director and founder of Lyme Disease Clinic in London, UK. www.lymediseaseclinic.co.uk
- Dr Mariano Bueno – Medical Director and founder of the Biosalud Clinic & Day Hospital in Zaragoza and Madrid.
All the founding medical directors are also members of the International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society ILADS, a non-profit, international, multi-disciplinary medical society, dedicated to the diagnosis and appropriate treatment of Lyme and its associated diseases.
The founding members of GLXG have collaborated closely for several years sharing their knowledge and working with other Lyme doctors and researchers around the world to create a network of understanding about the increased incidence of this disease and the impact climate change is having on its spread.
Having presented jointly at many worldwide conferences and events, they now seek to step up the fight against Lyme disease by formalising their partnership with other expert doctors and clinics around the world.
The aims of the Global LymeXpert Group are to:
- Increase the awareness and recognition of Lyme Disease, its co-infections and many symptoms among medical practitioners worldwide.
- Pool the talent and resources of doctors, therapists, practitioners and charitable organisations across the world to educate the public and create accessible treatment for people living with Lyme.
- Support researchers to investigate the causes, symptoms and treatment options to prevent new tick-bites from developing into chronic Lyme disease.
- Speed up access to the right treatment and support for patients who are diagnosed with chronic Lyme disease in order to give them the best possible chance for recovery.
- Set the gold standard on scientific parameters for the effective diagnosis and treatment of patients with all stages of Lyme.
- Open international dialogue with the medical community and national healthcare systems on ethical diagnosis and treatment to ensure patients receive appropriate and effective treatment in a timely manner.
- Facilitate funding and support for researchers worldwide who can contribute to the understanding and treatment of this disease and its health complications.
- Establish an education programme to train doctors, practitioners and the general public in the all-important prevention and early detection of Lyme disease, as well as the immediate steps to treatment to stop the damaging and potentially life-threatening effects of living with the disease long term.
The primary challenge that GLXG see as essential is obtaining an accurate diagnosis of Lyme disease as many popular and accepted tests used by healthcare systems around the world are often inadequate with a high incidence of false negatives in blood tests. It is a priority for the Global LymeXpert Group to further research reliable testing methods to find better solutions to diagnose and treat patients quickly and correctly.
“There is a vast amount of research, knowledge and expertise across the world that proves Lyme Disease and its co-infections is a very real, and growing health problem,” says Dr Joshua Berkowitz. “In order to fight Lyme Disease and convince those in the medical world who continue to deny its existence, we need to unite and bring together our expertise and resources. For several years I have worked closely and successfully with experts across Europe, most notably the BCA in Augsburg, Germany, the Medical Centre in Prague and the Biosalud Clinic & Day Hospital in Madrid, Spain to better understand this disease.
“Together we have made great strides towards treating this disease and collaboration is accelerating our ability to conduct research and improve diagnoses, treatments and therapies,” continues Dr Berkowitz. “Together we are most certainly stronger and by forming the Global LymeXpert Group and inviting our counterparts across the world to join our partnership, we aim to find accurate diagnosis tools and successful treatment protocols more quickly.”
We are inviting other like minded researchers, doctors, practitioners, charities and other relevant organisations to join with us and collaborate on controlling this disease worldwide. If you are interested in becoming a Global LymeXpert Group member or collaborating with our group of clinics, please get in touch.
Tel: +44(0)203 095 8005
Date Published: January 28th 2020