Throughout 2020-2021 our clinic has continued to adapt and adhere to the latest UK Government guidelines and restrictions that are mandated to us all on a national and local, London level.
Based on these guidelines we have developed our Covid-19 policy for the Lyme Disease Clinic here on Wimpole Street, London. We continue to run our Lyme clinic and treat patients throughout this period, adapting our appointment and clinic procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of both patients and staff.
We will continue to keep this page updated in line with any change in UK Government directive but should you have any specific questions relevant to your own circumstances please feel free to call us on +44(0)203 095 0009.
Are you running patient appointments?
Yes, we are open and here to help you!
We have moved many of our patient appointments online using video conferencing to ensure the health and safety of our patients and staff. We have found that video conferencing has also helped many of our international patients who have had travel restrictions imposed upon them preventing them from visiting the clinic in person.
When you call to make an appointment, we will provide you full instructions on the video conferencing tool that we use.
Our patient appointments are reviewed on a case by case basis and for some particularly complex cases, or those exhibiting certain symptoms, we may ask you to attend the clinic for a more thorough examination. This will depend on UK guidelines at the time and we will discuss this with you before booking the appointment.
Is your physical clinic open?
Yes, our clinic on Wimpole Street is currently open and staffed on a daily basis to help support the doctors and any day-patients that we have attending the clinic.
Should you need to come to our clinic we ask that you call first and confirm an appointment time. Due to Covid-19 restrictions outlined on this page, we have a limited number of people that we can see per day and at any one time.
We also have implemented an additional cleaning regime after each patient, so we ask that you book your visit in with us even if it is to pick up some medication.
Are you providing IV treatments?
Depending on the treatment programme that you are prescribed by the Lyme team, it may involve a course of IV antibiotics or other IV infusions. Our IV clinic is currently open and we are treating Lyme patients on a daily basis.
Changes to our IV clinic include; allowing a maximum of two patients in each treatment room, a minimum distance between them of two metres and spacing between each appointment to try and reduce patient crossover in the reception area.
If I am coming to the clinic what do I need to do beforehand?
- We will conduct telephone screening at the point of booking and will require our patients to complete a wellness form which will be sent to you via SMS message link 24 hours before the appointment.
- Patients should try to avoid public transport when travelling to the clinic to avoid the risk of contracting Covid-19 on the journey. If you must use public transport remember that masks are mandatory and we recommend wearing plastic gloves.
- Patients are asked to only come to the clinic at the booked time of their appointment. If a patient arrives early, they will be asked to either wait outside or come back at the booked appointment time.
- Patients should ideally come on their own to the clinic to keep the number of people within the clinic to a minimum. If you do need someone attending the appointment with you for support within the appointment, we must be notified in advance. We will need to register your family member/friend’s name and contact details with us (in case a Contact & Trace is necessary) and they will need to complete a wellness form online before they attend the appointment. Unless we are notified in advance, your family member/friend will be asked to wait outside. Please understand this is due to the current Covid-19 circumstances and the need to maintain social distancing for everyone’s safety.
- We will ask all visitors to wear a facemask/PPE at all times during their visit to the clinic to keep everyone safe.
Am I well enough to attend?
All patients and visitors will have their temperature taken before entering the clinic.
If their temperature is higher than 37.5C degrees, they will not be admitted to the clinic and will need to reschedule.
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, please do not come to the clinic:
- New persistent cough
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Loss or change to your sense of smell or taste
Please visit the NHS website for more information and guidance on Covid-19 symptoms if you are at all concerned.
What are the current clinic opening hours?
Please note that our hours of operation are:
- Clinic Opening Hours: Monday – Friday 10am – 4pm GMT (London time)
- Lyme Disease Clinic doctor appointments: Monday and Tuesday only at present (this is subject to change as the clinic reopens further to accommodate more patients)
- BCA Patient Transfer Consultations : Monday only
- Lyme Disease Clinic bloodwork appointments: Monday – Tuesday (10am – 12pm)
- A maximum of two Lyme patients will be allowed in the clinic at any one time.
- No more than two patients will be allowed within a treatment room.
- Patients must maintain 2 metres distance from one another.
- Nurses/Doctors will need likely need to get up close to the patient for examination and treatment, but will be wearing PPE when they do so.
- Appointments will be staggered to allow patients to enter and exit the clinic at a safe social distance.
- If you want to pay in advance, you can request a payment link to be emailed ahead of your appointment to reduce your interaction with staff and the payment machine at reception.
- The clinic will have a full disinfection spray every morning.
- All chairs and treatment rooms will be disinfected after each patient visit.
Thank you in advance for your help and cooperation in helping us maintain a high level of cleanliness, safety and good health for all our staff and patients.
We are in this together. Stay safe and stay well.